Every year, I try to post some things I’m thankful for and typically it’s a bulleted list. This time I wanted to elaborate a little more on each point to share why I’m thankful for that particular blessing. I’m thinking it’s a nice way to share a little more about me and it may get you thinking of the blessings in your own life.
Sometimes, we take things, places and people for granted, like that old bookstore that was always around the corner for 50 years but now has closed down. Or, our friends who we were close to in college but now we’ve lost touch. Some of the people that were in my life at one point, I have no idea where they are now or even if they’re still alive. I really want to change that going forward. Life is short and we’re only here for a small period of it. Now is the time to express our love and reach out to those we appreciate which is one of the reasons I love cardmaking so much. It’s a tangible, physical way to say we love a person or we’re thinking of them or we miss them. My hope for the new year is that I can make more cards with more meaningful sentiments.
So, enough of the babbling right? Let’s get to the list. It’s not a long list either. I’m aiming for quality not quantity. Hope you enjoy it!
- I appreciate my relationship with God. I must put this one first. I’ve been a Christian for more than 32 years, however not all of that time was I walking faithfully with The Lord. Eleven of those years, I was living an angry life. Nevertheless, Jesus was always calling and tugging at my heart and He never gave up on me. Little by little, He melted my anger and I re-dedicated my life back to Him. It’s because of the life He’s given me that I can even do what I do.
- My hubby is a God-send. I know The Lord sent my hubby to me. He’s my anchor, he keeps me real and pushes me so hard to be the best I can be. He accepts my quirky ways and he’s so supportive and tolerant when I don’t feel like talking. He lets me stay up at night crafting cause he understands when I’m feeling creative. He’s my champion!
- Community around cardmaking is the best. I’ve been able to build a network of other crafters on IG that I truly, truly love. Not all of them are paper crafters yet we support and encourage each other. I love seeing the things they make and I get so much inspiration. I get great feedback on my cards even when I know I’m still in the novice field. No one is ever unkind and instead competing, we lift each other up.
- Really grateful to be a maker. I can’t put into words how I feel when I make cards, all I can say is that it’s an amazing feeling. I’ve always wanted to create with my hands and never knew this path I’m on would be the one chosen. It’s incredible the journey we’re on and I want to see where it leads.
- Thankful to survive the year’s trials. While it’s never easy to lose someone, I’m grateful that God gave me the strength and comfort to go through my brother’s death. I cried and asked a million times, “Why?”… but in the end I’m so thankful that I got to raise him when he was a baby and watch with joy the kind of man he grew up to be.
- My best friend got her B.A. degree. This one is huge cause she was going through a major illness at the same time and I prayed and prayed for her to be healed. God answered and not only did He heal her, she got her degree! Just an amazing testimony I’ll never forget!
- Grateful for the little things. I don’t mean that to say these are unimportant, they certainly are not. They are the things I often forget about like having a warm bed to sleep in at night, good food to eat and the availability to go to the store for groceries, clean water to wash, healthy enough to work, being in my right mind, having all five senses and God’s protection and provision this year. There’s more certainly that can be added to this list, but I think you get the point. So many people have lost their livelihoods and I don’t ever want to take something like having a bathroom for granted again. Stuff happens all the time but if we have a roof over our head, clothes to wear and food to eat, we’re blessed.
What are you feeling most thankful for? I’d love for you to leave a comment!