Continuing my coloring adventure with my Copics today! I also wanted to participate in Kathy from The Daily Marker’s #thedailymarker30day challenge. To learn more, click here! I took her online course on onlinecardclasses.com awhile back and I have to admit that afterwards I was so intimidated. Her coloring is off the charts! However, sometimes you just gotta do things afraid. Since then, when I post my cards on my IG account, I tagged her and she actually commented cheering me on! I was so happy and it’s encouraged me to keep coloring and keep learning. I also want to encourage you to keep trying and keep learning. Quitters never win and Winners never quit!
I’ve also been inspired by scene cards with a lot of coloring and so I decided no white background for these four cards! Let’s get into the specifics:
So to begin with these cards, I knew I wanted to use Simon’s “Sketched Flowers” stamp set, I just love these flowers! But, instead of using the entire stamp which is really large, I stamped only a portion on top of my cardstock using my Misti. Then, I flipped the cardstock to stamp on the bottom. I intended my sentiment to sit in the center. I used Simon’s intense black ink to stamp the flowers. It’s a Copic-friendly ink. Once that part was done, it was time for the coloring.
I started coloring the yellow/gold flowers using the flicking technique I’ve seen other cardmakers do. I began with my lightest color (Y32), then blended in my mid-tone color (Y21) and for the darkest color (E99). Then, I went back in with Y21 to blend it all in. I then moved over to the leaves and I only used one color for them since not much of them are shown. For this, I used G94.
For the two pink flowers, I started with my darkest color on the edges (V05) and blended my lightest color in the center (RV63). For the flower in the middle, I again with dark to light (RV63 and R20). For the buds, I used V05 and RV63.
Next, it was time for the background coloring. I used B12. I really love this color and my Accents 100 lb. cardstock took all the ink perfectly!
TIP: Use the 0 blender pen when accidentally coloring outside the lines! It dries clear and looks perfect!
I let everything dry completely for a few hours and after that, I added some shimmer and glittery shine with Nuvo Aqua Glitter Gloss pen. Under the light, it really looks sweet! I adhered my panels to my card bases and again, set them aside to dry and meanwhile I worked on my sentiments.
I’m loving Pinkfresh Studio’s “Phrase Builder” dies cause not only can you make phrases but the shadows also comes with the words and you can choose to use them or not depending on your project. I wanted to use both the shadow and words so I die cut the shadow with Hero Arts “Adriatic” cardstock twice per card and glued them together for dimension. Then die cut the words with white cardstock. I glued that sentiment on first after the cards were dry. Then I glued Simon’s Reverse sentiment strips underneath. I didn’t want a ton of dimension to these cards.
To finish off my cards, I added Nuvo “Silver Rain” sequins, they’re flat, lightweight and perfect for embellishing. I also think they would work really well in shaker cards. Really love how these turned out and it makes me want to dive outside my comfort zone more and do more coloring.
List of Supplies:
Below are links to the products I used and some of them are affiliate links meaning if you purchase through them, I’ll earn a small commission and it is no extra cost to you. Your purchasing helps support our small business and we appreciate that so much! – Kim
- Simon Says Stamp “Sketched Flowers” stamp set – https://bit.ly/30ZTDCn
- Simon Says Stamp “Intense Black” ink – https://bit.ly/3k0lfjF
- Copic Blending Trio Sets – https://amzn.to/30PymLF (this link has all 7 sets)
- More Copic Sketch Markers – https://bit.ly/30ZieHw
- Pinkfresh Studio “Phrase Builder” die set –
- Simon Says Stamp Reverse “Sympathy” sentiment strips – https://bit.ly/39EX3ya
- Simon Says Stamp Reverse “Send Happiness” Sentiment strips – https://bit.ly/2CDL8Vz
- Misti Tool – https://shrsl.com/2eu6h
- Gemini Jr. Die Cutting Machine – https://amzn.to/2ZQMy89
- Accents 100 lb. white cardstock – https://amzn.to/2XiH9oY
- Hero Arts “Adriatic” cardstock – https://shrsl.com/2eu6j or here >> https://shrsl.com/2eu6m
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8
- Scor-buddy Mini Scoring Board – https://amzn.to/3dsamCB
- Tim Holtz Paper Trimmer – Simon Says Stamp – https://bit.ly/2Jb0L7V
- Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat – https://amzn.to/2lawwDO
- Assorted Envelopes – https://amzn.to/2S3Z6Up
- Gina K. Designs Connect Glue – https://bit.ly/2BI8Z5Z
- Nuvo “Silver Rain” sequins – https://shrsl.com/2eu6q
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer “Glitter Gloss” Pen – https://shrsl.com/2eu6s