I wasn’t one that grew up in a Christian home. In fact, my mother rarely went to the Baptist church on the corner of our street. I rebelled early and ended up in several cults actually. Somehow, I knew something was wrong with my life but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I suffered a lot with low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and fear.
It was when I was 25 years old that I turned my life to Jesus. It was a long process for me and everyday is a new day full of joy that nothing I tried in this world could ever give me. My mom watched how I began to change and that it wasn’t a fad. It was a real experience with my Savior. It would be how she would give her life to Jesus and find real peace.
I married my first husband at age 27 and I was so blessed that he loved The Lord so much. He would go home to be with Jesus that same year and that’s when my life took a turn for the worse. I couldn’t deal with the pain I felt and so I got angry with God. I left church and anything and everything and everyone connected with Jesus and the church. I went back to my days of partying and self destruction. And for 10 years, I was living how I wanted and making an absolute mess of my life. I ended up with more problems than ever. But, finally I re-dedicated my life to Jesus and He began the slow process of piecing my life back together again.
Out of the Darkness
I met my second husband, Ken, in 2000 and we married in 2001. He loves Jesus with all his heart and it was him who pushed me to write my autobiography, “Out of the Darkness”. I needed closure from my past and once I wrote the book, I felt a peace that I could actually walk away and not look back. Today, we go to a little church down the street that I absolutely love. Jesus is everything to me because not everyone who walks away comes back. I’m so blessed.
What Do my Hubby and I Believe?
- We believe Jesus is God as the Bible says in 1 John 5:7, “for there are three that bear record in Heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost and these three are one.” Jesus said in John 10:30: “I and the Father are One.”
- We do trust the Bible and believe that the only way to The Father is through Jesus.
- We believe in baptism through immersion in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38).
- We believe all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and it’s only through Jesus that we can be saved. (Romans the 3rd chapter)
- We believe God sent Jesus Christ to die for our sins and make a way for us to be saved and go to Heaven. (John 3:16)
- We believe there is a Hell that was made for the devil and his angels and that God would want everyone to be saved in the end. (2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 25:41)
- We believe the church will be caught up (raptured) before the Great Tribulation. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
- We believe in a judgment for all who have lived on earth. For Christians, it is the Judgment Seat of Christ where rewards are given based on the service we did on earth after receiving Christ in our heart. For unbelievers who die in their sins apart from Christ, it is the judgment for their actions and they are cast into Hell and darkness. (Read 2 Corinthians the 5th chapter that talks about the Judgment Seat of Christ and Revelation 20:11-15 that talks about the Great White Throne Judgment)
It might sound harsh to you if you haven’t received Christ in your heart but let me tell you, He spoke more about not going to Hell than anyone in the Bible and the price He paid for you and I was so high so that we would NOT go to that awful place. He wants us in Heaven with Him very badly. It’s our choice that either takes us to be with Him or not.
Today is the Day to Ask Jesus in your Heart
My faith I tell you is what has helped me, inspired me, corrected me, molded and shaped me, but also changed me for the better. If you’re reading this and you haven’t yet made Jesus your Savior and Lord, don’t delay. Ask Him to come into your heart now and fill you with His Holy Spirit. There may not be a tomorrow for life changes in an instant. He will NEVER turn away a sincere heart. Your life will change. I won’t kid you that you won’t have problems, as long as we live on earth we will encounter them. But I can tell you that Jesus said He would never leave nor forsake you. And He never breaks His promises. Let Him into your life today wherever you are, speak to Him.
My last piece of advice is if you have repented of your sins (meaning you’re truly sorry you grieved God and you sincerely asked Him to forgive you), please find a Spirit-filled, Pentecostal church, meaning they believe and preach being filled with the Holy Spirit and baptized in Jesus’ name to belong to, so you can be baptized as in Acts 2:38. You need a church where you will be loved, nurtured, taught from the Word of God, and be surrounded by a congregation of believers that will come beside you and help you grow in your knowledge of Jesus. The more closely you walk with Jesus the more your life will change in ways you would never imagine. It happened to me and I’ve not looked back! Welcome to the Family of God!
Follow my Blog, Growing up in Grace as I share my heart for Jesus and my yearning to grow in grace!