I had been wanting to try this technique and so when I saw Cathy Zielske’s YouTube video, I knew I had try it. Of course, I don’t have the same die she used so I had to be a little bit creative to get the same look, no problem! And, I these cards were so much fun to make! Love how they each turned out!
I started by looking through my pattern papers for really cute designs that could be the background for the frame. I’m in love with polka dots, watercolor, flowers, stripes, chevron patterns, you name it. I decided on polka dots from the Echo Park Baby girl 6 x 6 paper pack, so after I picked that out, I broke out my rectangle die set. It has a bunch of rectangles in different sizes. I chose the next to the largest and the one just below that.
First thing to do was cut the pattern papers and my Neenah 110 lb. solar white cardstock to 2-3/4″ x 4-1/4″ with the rectangle die (this is the size that’s second from the largest). I glued these together to add dimension to the frame. I decided afterwards that I wanted a border to go around the frame so I chose the next smallest rectangle die and used some microphor tape to keep the two rectangles in place as I die cut them to make the border.
Of course, if you have a frame/border die, you don’t have to do what I did, but since I don’t, I had to create my own using the two rectangle dies. And, it worked perfectly! Plus, I like that the set I have has a stitching pattern all around. I then glued the border and now my center frame is done!
The next part to decide on was what to put inside my frame. I knew I wanted a flower there, so I used the dahlia die from Simon Says Stamp and I cut one on white, the other on pink cardstock. I knew I’d make two cards but I wanted them to look a little different from each other.
Which card is your favorite?
I love this delicate flower die, it was a little longer than my frame so I just snipped off a bit on the stem to fit it inside the frame. The last thing was the sentiment. Since I just got my Sizzix Sidekick die cutter, I decided to use the banner die that came with the machine to be the backdrop for the “Love you” sentiment which came from the Welcome to Joyful Home 4-piece stamp set. I used white for the purple card and pink (Gina K. Designs Spring Rainbow cardstock) for the pink card.
I put the whole frame design on another sheet of Neenah 110 lb. cardstock for the card bases and they were done! I think they look so classy and can work for any occasion. You can find both these cards in our shop here and here.
Sometimes, I see a technique for a card that I may not have all the supplies the crafter used but with a little ingenuity and creativity I can still produce a similar effect and make something just as beautiful! I love this industry of other crafters bonding together to inspire each other. I’ve received so much support from my Instagram community and it keeps me wanting to improve my style. And as always, I’ve provided a list of all the supplies I used at the bottom of this post in case you’re interested! Thanks for reading!
List of supplies used:
NOTE: some of these are affiliate links meaning if you make a purchase with one of them, we’ll receive a small commission which helps us run our small business. And, purchasing through our links is no additional cost to you.
- Benecreat 6 sets of cutting dies – round, square, rectangle, circle, flower – https://amzn.to/2YkZaVu
- Echo Park Baby Girl 6 x 6 paper pack – https://amzn.to/2yyKdA5
- Simon Says Stamp Dahlia Stem Wafer Die – https://bit.ly/2YH6qpY
- Neenah 110 lb. Solar White Cardstock – https://amzn.to/2yxWEfs
- Gina K. Designs Spring Rainbow Cardstock – https://bit.ly/2M20N3N
- “Love you” (Welcome to Joyful Home) part of the 4-piece sentiment stamp set – https://amzn.to/2Zxq7lo
- Assorted Multi-color envelopes (50 in pack) – https://amzn.to/2yCXXJT
- Misti Stamping Tool – https://amzn.to/2ZvDQcD
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8
- Martha Stewart Scoring Board (not available on Amazon) – EK Tools has a similar one – https://amzn.to/2jJeEj8
- Sizzix Big Shot Express – https://amzn.to/2Go3zeK
- Sizzix Sidekick Starter Kit – https://amzn.to/2yDdBFo; extra cutting plates – https://amzn.to/2ZtSEbv; Sidekick Accessories bundle – https://amzn.to/2YFcLCC
- Gina K Connect Glue – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Gina-K-Designs-CONNECT-GLUE-Adhesive-gkd5614
- Double-sided Foam Tape – https://amzn.to/2jILf8y
- Tim Holtz Paper Trimmer – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Tim-Holtz-Tonic-GUILLOTINE-COMFORT-PAPER-TRIMMER-160E-160ETHT?currency=USD
- Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat – https://amzn.to/2lawwDO
- EK Tools Craft Tweezers – https://amzn.to/2LYPhqa
- T-ruler – https://amzn.to/2yC8ncS
- Die Release Tool – I have the one by Kaisercraft but I can’t find it online, Spellbinders has this one: https://amzn.to/2Zsd9Wg; or Tim Holtz Retractable Craft Pick: https://amzn.to/2Ko8Vsh
I love creating cards to make others smile, it’s my calling from God. I’m so grateful to have my hubby along supporting me all the way! Be sure to visit my Etsy Shop at etsy.com/shop/KimsHandcraftedCards