Hey everybody! Here’s Round 3 of alcohol backgrounds with only 2 colors per card and this time I used other colors from the 15-pack of new alcohol inks by Tim Holtz. I’m absolutely hooked!! I think these 4 cards look even better than in Round 2.
If you want to know how I like to make alcohol ink backgrounds, read my first post!
For this round of cards, I was going for more vibrancy effects so though I only used 2 colors per card, I added the colors several times with the blending solution to get the looks I was after. Also, I started out by putting the Isopropyl alcohol on my paper first.
The purple card is “Boysenberry” and “Vineyard” and the blue/gold is “Glacier” and “Dijon”. I didn’t use any alloys for these cards. But, still I got a beautiful dramatic look which was definitely what I was going for.
The blue card is “Laguna” and “Monsoon” and I used the “Sterling” alloy. The red card is “Sienna” and “Rosewood” mixed with “Gilded” alloy. I just love how the silver blended with the blue tones and how the gold really makes the red color tones pop out. I only added 2 drops of the alloys as you don’t need much.
Normally, I let my alcohol backgrounds air dry for 24 hours, but I was so excited after seeing how these turned out that I did use my heat gun, however I also used the heavyweight Yupo paper which can take the heat better than the regular paper. Still, I moved my gun around so as to not run the risk of warping and it worked out perfectly.
To turn these lovely backgrounds into cards, I trimmed my backgrounds down to 4″ x 5-1/4″ and adhered them to matching color cardstock by Simon Says Stamp. The purple card, however, I didn’t have any purple cardstock so I used Hero Arts Black cardstock and I actually like it the best. The black border around the purple card gives it a really cool contrast.
For the sentiment, I used the “Prayers” word die by PinkFresh Studio. I cut it and the shadow out several times on white cardstock and then the letters on black cardstock and glued them down on my backgrounds. For the secondary sentiment, I chose the Reverse sentiment strips by CZ Design that I bought from SSS. It’s a new one in my stash called, “Sympathy”. And, while this set is for sympathy/condolence cards, there’s some other sayings that are appropriate for encouragement and so I used 4 different ones for my cards. They say exactly what I would say to a hurting friend right now. TIP: The reverse sentiments are white text over black but it’s printed on white cardstock so I take my black dual marker and run it against the edges all around so that the white paper doesn’t show.
I think this will do it for my alcohol backgrounds with 2 colors series, not that I’m done with alcohol inks, not by a long shot, but I’ll be getting back to my love for making CAS cards in the next post! Thanks for reading and following along!
List of Supplies:
Below are links to the products I used and some of them are affiliate links meaning if you purchase through them, I’ll earn a small commission and it is no extra cost to you. Your purchasing helps support our small business and we appreciate that so much! – Kim
- Tim Holtz New Alcohol Inks – https://amzn.to/2BlnXyd or if you want the set with an empty spray bottle, or here >> https://amzn.to/2XiqiCq
- Tim Holtz Alloys bundle – https://shrsl.com/2cm23
- Yupo paper – https://amzn.to/2ZWY8ia or Heavyweight – https://amzn.to/3dlEZuj
- Hero Arts Hues Black cardstock – https://shrsl.com/2bi52
- Simon Says Stamp colored cardstock – https://bit.ly/2A2kIvk
- Tim Holtz Air Blower – https://shrsl.com/2b70m or here >> https://amzn.to/2XNyZ6T or here >> https://bit.ly/36NcQK0
- Alcohol Blending Solution – https://bit.ly/2ZVAdQj
- 99% Isopropyl Alcohol – https://amzn.to/2UDXWkA
- Pipettes (100/pack) – https://amzn.to/2ZVvWML
- Pinkfresh Studio “Sending Building Phrases” Die Set – https://bit.ly/31gTFrr
- Simon Says Stamp Set, “Reverse Sympathy Sentiments” – https://bit.ly/2BDXJH9
- Gemini Jr. Die Cutting Machine – https://amzn.to/2ZQMy89
- Accents 100 lb. white cardstock – https://amzn.to/2XiH9oY
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8
- Scor-buddy Mini Scoring Board – https://amzn.to/3dsamCB
- Tim Holtz Paper Trimmer – Simon Says Stamp – https://bit.ly/2Jb0L7V
- Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat – https://amzn.to/2lawwDO
- Assorted Envelopes – https://amzn.to/2S3Z6Up
- Kirkland Baby Wipes 3/pack – https://amzn.to/2BltdBY
- Nuvo Deluxe Glue – https://amzn.to/2zKujqp
- Foam Squares – https://amzn.to/3f0G37x
- Hero Arts Black Mini Misti – https://shrsl.com/2b55m, here >> https://shrsl.com/2b55o or here >> https://bit.ly/3eAzLeo
- Memento Tuxedo Dual Marker >> https://bit.ly/3dzyuDu