I so love Distress Inks especially the Oxide line because my heart has always been drawn to watercoloring. But, I’m not a watercolor artist and I’m so glad I don’t have to be to achieve the look I want. Distress Oxide Inks gives me the opportunity to play with my paintbrushes but it doesn’t stop there. It’s really great for techniques like ink blending to make a galaxy background.
I bought the 24-pack on Amazon here but I was still missing some colors to make this card which was Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire. So I purchased these separately, however I guess I was so excited that I didn’t think to check the order and so when it arrived, it turned out that I bought Chipped Sapphire in the traditional Distress and not the Oxide brand. I didn’t let that stop me though, I decided to use it as you can mix the two together. Oxides take a little longer to dry than the traditional inks.
And, boy was I surprised and shocked by my results!
I used a combination of Blueprint sketch, Twisted Citron, Seedless Preserves, Broken China and Distress Ink Chipped Sapphire. I ended up making two backgrounds using the same colors but I decided to blend them a bit different for both cards not using the same motion. I’m totally hooked! Below is a YT video that inspired me! If you can’t play it, click here to watch it on YouTube. She’s amazing!
After I did the ink blending, I let both cards sit and air dry for about a couple of hours. I could have used my heat gun but I wasn’t in a hurry. After they had completely dried, I did some splattering with Picket Fence Distress Paint for the stars. I let that air dry as well and while that was happening, I prepared my die cut.
I love the giant “Hello” die from Altenew, and so I decided I wanted a 3D effect so I die cut it 4 times on white foam paper. I put the backgrounds on heavyweight cardstock with double-sided tape and then glued the Hello sentiments to the background.
Lastly, I created the sentiment and cut that strip on an angle to add just underneath the Hello die cut. Topped it with some sequins from Pretty Pink Posh and my cards are done! I had some really pretty blue envelopes to match and they are available for sale in my Etsy Shop here!
There’s so many things I love about cardmaking and one of them is how artsy you can be. No card design is alike, there are numerous techniques to try. Adding art to cards is exhilarating especially ink blending and watercoloring. This is definitely not my last time making galaxy backgrounds for future cards! I hope you give this technique a try and as always, the links to all the supplies I used are below (some of them are affiliate links meaning that if you purchase through them, I will receive a small commission that helps me run my card business and there’s no additional charge to you).
Thanks for reading!
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8a
- Martha Stewart Scoring Board (not available on Amazon) – EK Tools has a similar one – https://amzn.to/2jJeEj8
- Sizzix Big Shot Express – https://amzn.to/2Go3zeK
- Ngwall Round Paintbrush Set – https://amzn.to/2V8xcuu
- Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb. Cardstock – https://amzn.to/2jIg11u
- 80 lb. White Thick Paper Cardstock (similar to Neenah 80 lb.) – https://amzn.to/2jJm3Ph
- Distress Oxide Ink Blueprint Sketch – https://amzn.to/2Y0w7pu
- Distress Oxide Ink Seedless Preserves – https://amzn.to/2l79de2
- Distress Oxide Ink Broken China – https://amzn.to/2lafXrJ
- Distress Oxide Ink Twisted Citron – https://amzn.to/2jIR2Ln
- Distress Ink Chipped Sapphire – https://amzn.to/2lc3cNm
- Mega Hello Die from Altenew – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product?id=405967
- White foam paper – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/9-x-12-WHITE-FUN-FOAM-12-Pack-118711-118711FF?currency=USD
- Gina K Connect Glue – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Gina-K-Designs-CONNECT-GLUE-Adhesive-gkd5614
- Double-sided Foam Tape – https://amzn.to/2jILf8y
- Tim Holtz Paper Trimmer – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Tim-Holtz-Tonic-GUILLOTINE-COMFORT-PAPER-TRIMMER-160E-160ETHT?currency=USD
- Clear Sequins from Pretty Pink Posh – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Pretty-Pink-Posh-SPARKLING-CLEAR-CONFETTI-MIX-SPCFMPP?currency=USD
- Tim Holtz Picket Fence Distress Paint – https://amzn.to/2lavx6A
- We R Memory Keepers QuickStix Craft Tool – https://amzn.to/2jIg11u
- Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat – https://amzn.to/2lawwDO
- Tonic Easy Clean Mat – Simon Says Stamp – https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product?id=380355