There’s a bunch of watercolor techniques to do in cardmaking and one of my favorites is “smooshing”. This is where you put color down ink on some kind of surface like a clear block used in stamping or a piece of acetate, spray with water and you “smoosh” watercolor paper on the ink with your hands and lift off.
The ink can be paints, dye, distress or oxides and even brush markers that react to water like Zig Clean Color Markers or Arteza Real Brush Pens. Last night I was watching a YT video here (embedded below) that I hadn’t tried before which is instead of lifting the paper off the ink right away but rather let it sit for awhile to soak up the colors.
I used my Zig markers in primary colors like pink, purple and green for the card above. I made a bunch of backgrounds first and let them air dry before stamping. I added paint droplets with “black licorce silk” cause I just love paint splatters!
In the video, she also talked about using Bristol watercolor paper with Zigs because it takes the ink very well. Choosing the right paper is definitely key to getting great results and she also stamped her images with Versafine Onyx black pigment ink. I hadn’t tried this either and luckily I had both the paper and ink in my crafty stash. The stamp sets I used I bought on Amazon and they stamped perfectly over the colors! I fell in “wuv” with this technique, so much so I made a total of 4 cards in one night!
What I also love is that no matter how many times you do this technique, the background design always looks different! I also used yellow and turquoise colors!
Topped these off with gems and bit of white gel pen touches! I stamped the sentiment and then I layered them on Simon Says Stamp “Fog” cardstock and Neenah 110 lb. cardstock and all done! What a fun night of inky goodness!
I hope you try this technique out and if so, tell me how it went for you by commenting!
List of Supplies:
Below are links to the products I used and some of them are affiliate links meaning if you purchase through them, I’ll earn a small commission and it is no extra cost to you. Your purchasing helps support our small business and we appreciate that so much! – Kim
- Zig Clean Color Markers (60-set) – https://amzn.to/2t7Mkvq
- Bristol Smooth Watercolor paper – https://amzn.to/390bVGt
- Welcome to Joyful Home Flower Stamp Set – https://amzn.to/2vfUwuH
- Hello, Miss you Happy Letters stamp set – https://amzn.to/37ZHtuT
- Fun Stampers Journey Water-based Silks (Black Licorice)
- Neenah 110 lb. Solar White Cardstock – https://amzn.to/2yxWEfs
- Misti Stamping Tool – https://amzn.to/2ZvDQcD
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8
- Martha Stewart Scoring Board (not available on Amazon) – EK Tools has a similar one – https://amzn.to/2jJeEj8
- Nuvo Deluxe Clear Glue – https://amzn.to/2RANwkv
- Scotch double-sided foam tape – https://amzn.to/2NRlIXv
- Tim Holtz Paper Trimmer – Simon Says Stamp – https://bit.ly/2Jb0L7V
- Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat – https://amzn.to/2lawwDO
- Simon Says Stamp “Fog” cardstock – https://bit.ly/3cbqaKi
- Uniball white gel pen – https://amzn.to/36ylRow
- Pink Fresh jewels mix – http://shrsl.com/24yed or https://bit.ly/2SXPLPm