I have to start out by saying these cards definitely took me way out of my comfort zone! First off, I had never used alcohol inks before and didn’t own any until I received my monthly Simon Says Stamp (SSS) card kit for May.
|My SSS Monthly card kit arrived this Monday just in time for May!|
I have seen so many crafters make absolutely beautiful cards using alcohol pearl inks but I thought I wouldn’t be one of them! Alcohol inks, in general, intimidate me. I own some Copic markers and the Studio 71 48-set but they’re different since they’re markers. These are inks out of a bottle for some odd reason, they scared me off!
Then, guess what? I go to YT and I’m catching up on videos when I watched Maymay’s (Maymay Made It Crafts) YT video about May is for Makin’! She is challenging us crafters to all step outside our comfort zones and create something that we’d always wanted to but for whatever reason haven’t. For example, maybe you bought a machine for crafting that you’ve never used or maybe there’s a technique you always wanted to try but haven’t. So roll up those sleeves, take that machine out of its box and create! Her challenge is throughout the month of May so if you’d like to participate (and I hope you do!), you can learn more about it here. So, for me, this post is definitely one of my entries for her challenge 🙂
I love the fact that SSS included these 3 colors in their kit to give me the chance to play with them and I looked at a LOT of videos to learn how to use them.
|Tranquil, Sublime and Intrigue along with the Alcohol Blending Solution were included in the SSS May 2019 Monthly Card Kit|
No one warned me that playing with these inks would be addictive!!! Once I got over my initial intimidation, I couldn’t stop playing with these colors! I made 3 cards, and they didn’t take long at all to make!, (Note: all links to everything I used is at the bottom of this post.)
For my first card, I used the Yupo paper, also included in the kit, and put drops of the “Tranquil” and “Sublime” colors with the blending solution and used my very inexpensive Blitzer Airbrush Painting tool that I picked up at a thrift store years ago. I’m not sure if you can get it again unless maybe at eBay but We R Memory Keepers has one that I think will work, click here if you’re interested in it. Anyway, I used it to blow air on the ink to move the colors around and they just mixed so well. I was amazed at how quickly it dried and I didn’t used a heating tool.
I kept mixing the two colors with the blending solution until I was happy with the results and the end result reminds me of watercolor which I love so much. Then I die cut the “Celebrate” sentiment which is a die/stamp set that I bought on Amazon. I used the glitter paper in the kit to die cut the sentiment and adhered it to all the cards after the alcohol ink was completely dried. The glitter really looks good on top of all that color. I cut down all the pieces to 4″ x 5-1/2″ (portrait) and glued them to the card bases. For May, SSS gave us 3 colors of cardstock: green, pink and white, perfect for Spring! Also, for all three cards, I put watercolor ink droplets with my paintbrushes all over using colors from my Zig Clean Color Brush Markers… for this 1st card, I used the color Wine Red.
I followed the same procedure for my 2nd card as the 1st except I used the “Sublime” and “Tranquil” alcohol pearl inks together. After placing the sentiment, I used the Cobalt Blue color Zig Clean Color Brush marker for these droplets.
I mixed all three inks for this last card and WOW! I used a combo of Wine Red and Pink Zig Clean Colors for the droplets with my paintbrushes and they blended in with the alcohol cause I don’t think it was completely dry yet. Nevertheless, the colors just popped everywhere on this card and I think the sentiment, “Celebrate” is so appropriate for this collection. I adhered this piece onto WPlus9 Kraft paper because the browns I thought would match well with it.
Here’s the list of supplies I used for these cards (some of these are affiliate links which if you purchase using any of them, I’ll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you). Your support is greatly appreciated!
- Simon Says Stamp (SSS) – Monthly Card Kit for May 2019 (items below come with this kit):
- Simon Says Stamp Delicate Flowers 6×8 clear stamp set
- ModaScrap Let Your Soul Bloom 6 x 6 inch papers
- Tim Holtz Ranger Alcohol Pearls Ink Sublime
- Tim Holtz Ranger Alcohol Pearls Ink Intrigue
- Tim Holtz Ranger Alcohol Pearls Ink Tranquil
- Tim Holtz Ranger Alcohol Blending Solution
- Carta Bella Flower Bouquet washi tape
- 2 sheets 4 x 7 inch Yupo paper
- 2 sheets Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Cardstock Silver Sparkle
- Simon Says Stamp Metallic Green Leaf envelope
- Simon Says Stamp Metallic Cotton Candy envelope
- Simon Says Stamp White envelope
- Simon Says Stamp Green Leaf cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp Cotton Candy cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp White 120# cardstock
- Kraft Cardstock (Wplus9) – https://www.wplus9.com/kraft-cardstock/
- Wishes, Cheers, Celebrate Stamp/Die Set – https://amzn.to/2GUHxBx
- Teflon bone folder – https://amzn.to/2VcfC8a
- Scor-buddy – https://amzn.to/2Xpletl
- Sizzix Big Shot Express – https://amzn.to/2Go3zeK
- Tim Holtz 5×7 Yupo Paper (SSS) –https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product?id=410426; (Amazon) -https://amzn.to/2GUfIcy
- Zig Clean Color Brush Markers (24-set https://amzn.to/2DFJu2N) – (48-set https://amzn.to/2LeXG9l) – (60-set https://amzn.to/2GX5SXH this is the set I have!) – (80-set https://amzn.to/2LgWOkt)
- Ngwall Round Paintbrush Set – https://amzn.to/2V8xcuu
- Princeton Artist Brush Neptune – https://amzn.to/2LhO6T1
- WPlus9 Kraft cardstock – https://www.wplus9.com/kraft-cardstock/
So what did I learn at the end of this cardmaking session? My first thought was, “now why was I afraid?!” Fear can be our worst enemy, it paralyzes us from trying new things and stretching ourselves to reach higher. Instead of wishing you could do this or that or thinking you can’t do this or that, try it anyway. You never know what you’ll create!
Happy Creating Crafty Friends!